DIY Workshop Storage Unit
Shelves and drawers are a good way to add storage space to a workshop, but they must be sturdy if they’re to handle the weight of power tools.
It costs about $240 to build one of these boxes and four drawers, plus a plinth.
You’ll need two sheets of 2400 x 1200 x 19mm plywood and one 1200 x 600 x 12mm sheet, as well as pine for the plinth.
For a wall of storage, build more boxes and a full-length plinth. Separate them with open shelving and add a worktop.
DIY TIP Use a tablesaw to cut the parts to width and a circular saw with a straightedge guide to cut them to length.
- The tough drawers and the boxes they are housed in are built from plywood. The drawers come in three sizes to hold a range of tools and materials.
- Cut the shelves from 19mm ply. Position the base shelf on the plinth and attach cleats to the outer box sides to install the rest without screws.
- Countersink all screw holes on the outside of the boxes and fill all screw and brad holes before staining. Seal the drawer faces with polyurethane.
- Lay the box sides next to each other with the most flawed surfaces face up. These will be on the inside of the box. Arrange so the best edges face the front.
- The length of the worktop depends on the number of boxes, while the depth will be 590mm. We cut a sheet of 2400 x 1200 x 19mm ply in two to make the top.
- If you build several boxes, you‘ll need to make one big plinth to stand them on. Create a toe space by making the plinth 60mm shallower than the boxes.
- When all the boxes are in position, secure to the plinth and to the wall studs with 75mm x 8g screws. Add the shelves and attach the worktop with screws.
Take A Shortcut
Make a simple handle jig.
CUT 19mm ply to 110mm wide and the length of the drawer faces.
SECURE a 40 x 19mm ply scrap flush with the top edge of a face, marking the handle ends and post hole centres 80mm and 50mm from each end.
CLAMP the jig and glue the dowels to hold them in position until the handles are bolted on.
Organise your garage with drawers designed to hold all your tools and equipment